Thursday, February 15, 2007

Ordaination Process

This week I was approved by the Board of Ordained Minisitry (BOM) for probationary membership in the Minnesota Annual Conference ... basically the final step before being ordained as an Elder in The United Methodist Church. As I reflect on the process I appreciate what I like about it. I know that for many people the ordination process can be long and painful, but I think it is a really good idea. I like it the process because I think it realizes that ministry is not just about whether or not you are qualified for the job, but whether this is what you are called to do. The hope in ministry is that you and the churches you work with will suceed. The BOM has not only the interests of the church in mind but also you. Too often a job interview is two sides looking out for themselves, the applicant wanting to know what the company can do for them, and the company what the applicant can do for them. With the BOM I felt that people were truly looking after everyone's interests and not there own. I do not think that ordination is necessary for ministry. In fact I believe a great deal of ministry is done by people who are not and never will be ordained. Thatbeing siad I thhink it is imprtoant that ordination is taking seriously. It should not just be seen like a job interview, where the board only has the interests of the church at heart, nor should it just be a rubber stamp, looking after the immediate interests of the applicants. As it is meant to function it tries to look to the long term interests of both, and this is as things should be.

No comments: