Thursday, August 2, 2007

A New Look at Lost Sheep

So one of my hobbies is disc golf, or Frisbee golf. It is a very similar to regular golf except instead of hitting a ball you are throwing a disc or Frisbee and instead of a hole you are aiming for a basket, but otherwise the concept is the same. In both disc golf and regular golf occasionally you have a bad shot and you lose your disc or ball. As I was tramping through the weeds the other day this triggered in me a new insight into the parable of the lost sheep, where Jesus stresses the need to search as much as possible for the sheep. Sometimes when I lose a disc it takes two seconds to find it, sometimes a minute, sometimes five, or even ten, and occasionally I am just forced to admit defeat. If I never looked for discs that were not in the open, or stopped after just looking for one minute I would have lost a lot of discs this year, instead, because of my tireless efforts to find my own discs I have also discovered several lost discs of other golfers. Jesus really is right, if we are not willing to make the tireless effort for one lost sheep soon we will be without a flock. It seems simple enough, but I know that when it comes to disc golf it means a lot of tramping through brush in the heat, and when it comes to real life and lost souls, the work is even greater, but now I have a better appreciate for why it is all worth it.

No comments: