Wednesday, January 30, 2008

21st Century Rosary

I remember reading an article somewhere that talked about how men tend to compartmentalize relationships more than women do. Women tend to want someone, especially their spouses, to be the primary source for most things. Men on the other hand tend to break things down more, there is the friend you watch football with, or the person you vent about politics with, no one person needs to meet every need, even the your spouse. As I look at my own life this makes some sense n how I live my life and so on. I can remember one particular instance when I was really having a hard time with something and needed support. I remember pulling out my cell phone and flipping through my directory, looking at each name, trying to decide who would best understand what I was going through, who could give me the right kind of support.

I was thinking about this event the other day, and realizing that it provided me with an excellent idea for a 21st Century rosary, not that there is something wrong with the age old version. I have not yet done it yet, but I think it would be an interesting spiritual discipline to take out a cell phone everyone now and again and pray through it, pausing at each contact to say a pray for them. It seems to me it would help in remembering our interconnectedness and I find it easier to ask things for other people than I do for myself. I am not sure if it is something that would be doable on really regular basis, but I think it is worth trying and some point and would be curious if others tried it what they thought.

No comments: