Thursday, January 18, 2007

Harry Potter, Tolkien, and Scripture

I am preparing a class on Harry Potter for parents and kids at the moment. My hope is to show how Harry Potter retells Biblical stories and messages in a different way. I hope that by studying Harry Potter the kids, and the parents, will have a better understanding of what it means to be a Christian. I do not think I am off base on this, from what I know, Rowling, like Tolkien and Lewis deliberately wove religion into her writings.

As I was beginning to think about how we could find parts of Scripture in fiction it made me begin to wonder if we actually need to be thinking of new ways for people to experience Scripture. For hundreds of years we have read the Bible, or other have read the Bible and told it to us, and WORDS (caps used for emphasis) have been used to convey the meaning of Scripture. I think even for those people who desire to take the Bible to the letter would have to agree that what is truly important is not the literal WORDS on the page, but the IDEAS behind them. I think what is truly sacred, truly inspired by God is the meaning of the Bible, the message of God's continuing love for us that is stretches from Genesis to Revelation. Part of the idea behind "The Message" by Eugene Peterson, is the idea that people today will better grasp Scripture if it is written in a way that captures the heart of the words, and casts them in a way that has meaning for people today. I know for a number of people this is quite true. I also know that some people love and treasure the translations of scripture that they grew up with. The Christmas story is best told to me in the voice of Linus Van Pelt, from "A Charlie Brown Christmas." People learn best in different ways, what seems to be most important to me is not the words we use, but the ideas we convey. Is it possible for people to experience God better through the Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter, than it is through the Bible? Does this go against the importance of Scripture? Or, does this actually make Scripture to be something more than the mere object of the Bible, but in fact reinforce that Scripture truly is God to speaking to us, through the Bible, the words of J.K. Rowling, or Ian McKellen as Gandalf?

1 comment:

kidscoach said...

I think Martin Luther would be proud of your conclusion, and the works of Tolkien and Rowling. There is great historical precedent for the messages of the Bible taking precedence over the actual words of the Bible. The reformation of course shattered the illusion that only the priestly class should have first hand knowledge of the Bible. However, while this greatly encouraged literacy, it did not stop Protestants from using non-written means of communicating the Bible's message. I personally think that the Reformation's greatest effect was suggesting the idea of an individual connection and struggle with the Bible. And this connection and struggle is encouraged by the religion undertones of Tolkien, Lewis and if you're insisting (as I'm not as convinced of the overt intentions as you are) Rowling. So, no shame in having Charlie Brown helpin' you out.