Wednesday, January 17, 2007

What Salvation do I Preach?

I have a sort of love/hate relationship with "Organic Church", by Neil Cole, which I have been reading for the last week or two. There is a lot I agree with and probably equally much that I disagree with. Some of it simply boils down to a difference in style between the two of us. In one chapter Cole starts off by talking about Schindler's List, and the idea that each of us should be creating a similar list of people we know who are in need of salvation. What really struck me was that Cole was focused on the idea that our fear of death should prompt our efforts for salvation. I do not want to preach a Gospel based on the fear of death, but rather one that rejoices in the beauty of life. I think that Cole gives an excellant example that helps us to see things in terms of all the people who need to be saved. Unfortunately I worry that the Gospel too often gets cast as a way of saving us from Hell, rather an a way that can remake us into better people in this life. Do we follow Christ because of what Christ has to offer us, or because of what we want to offer Christ. If people are introduced to Christ because they need to be saved, this becomes the basis of their faith. I think we should follow Christ out of love, not out of our need. Each of us can think of a time we have been guilty of "sucking up" or similar behavior. Whether it is to a boss, a teacher, or simply someone we respect, we have sought to better our relationship to them in hopes of some sort of gain. On the other hand, think about how we relate to the people we love. We do not think of our relationship in terms of what we get from them, but instead in terms of what we can give. I do not want people to get saved because of what will happen if they don't, I want people to know about God, because God loves them so much, and God wants them to be in a better relationship with God. The purpose of evangelism to me is not to appeal to people's fear of death, but to show them the love of God, and the beauty of life.

1 comment:

kidscoach said...

You should listen to http://www.thislife.org/pages/descriptions/05/304.html
as it deals with this same topic in a fascinating way and ultimately comes to the same conclusion that life should be celebrated rather than fearing hell.