Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Snow Day

I am sitting at my computer, a warm beverage in hand, and snow gently falling (again) outside the window. Is there a better time for some good thinking? I love snow for a variety of reasons, but one that I am appreciating right now is that it gives me reasons to slow down. I do not always take them, in fact I feel I have run more errands in the last few snowy days than I usually do, but even while running errands I think about whether or not I need to go out, and try to go slower when I am out. As a pastor I have a tendency to race from one location to another, always trying to do lots of different things. Snow and racing around do not go well together. I am always amused and at the same time worried about the people who try to race in the snow. My big theme this Advent season is trying to do less and that is really hard to do. There is a tendency around the holidays to want to do more, to try and work harder, to get more done. I think the falling snow is just another reminder how each of us need to take a moment and slow down. There is a quiet peacefulness to snow fall that I believe needs to be celebrated. I do not know what I am going to give up today to just relax and enjoy the snow, but I feel that part of what each of us is called to do is listen to what God is saying through the weather and find some quiet moments during a season of carols, noise, and rush.

2 comments:

Melissa Meyers said...

No matter how many times you use snow as a positive illustration, I will always conclude that snow comes from the devil...

Anonymous said...

I too am a sporadic reader. I'm so glad you've kept at this journal. It certainly makes for interesting reading!

I miss snow. That's the one thing about Portland, OR that makes me sad. Because you're right: when it snows, I just have the urge to curl up in the window and watch it fall and just think, about everything and nothing. Ah, snow . . .